An impact driver is a manual tool that delivers a strong, sudden rotational and downward force, often used by mechanics to loosen larger screws (bolts) and nuts that are corrosively “frozen” or over-torqued. The direction can also be reversed for situations where screws have to be tightened with torque greater than a screwdriver can reasonably provide. It is mostly used by the workers of Construction companies, Carpenters, and any machine manufacturing unit. An impact driver combines much higher rotational torque than traditional drills, with fast paced rotational tapping which serves to nudge the fastener along while keeping the screw tip in place without spinning out of the slots.
The DeWALT AND Porter Cable are two good brands which manufacture high quality Impact Drivers. Both brands also include an integrated light that comes on when the trigger is pressed.
There are so many advantages of using an Impact Driver over the conventional drills..
- It can Powers screws through some seriously dense material with more torque and concussive blows.
- It prevents wrist strain because it is doing more work than you, which means your hand.
- Drives long screws with minimum efforts, something which is very difficult by conventional drill.
- It is less likely to strip the screws.
- It fits into tight spaces very easily due to its smaller body.
- Integrated Light. Most models of the impact screwdriver incorporate a light in the tool that shoots a beam forward, allowing you to work accurately in areas of poor lighting.
- The combined driver and hammer facilities of the impact driver allow you to have one hand free as you work. This is helpful when you need to hold a work piece in place.
- The drill bit and motor aren’t directly connected; hence you’ll not experience the high-level torque as you work. You also do not have to exert as much force when driving screws into a work piece due to the high rotational force available. This subjects you to less fatigue.
- The impact driver has a high-power output due to the high torque level. The increased driving power enables you to work with more freedom.
- Many drill drivers have a tendency to break the screw heads during the driving in process. However, the impact screwdriver sets in screws right to the flush point without causing the screws heads to loose its shape.
- Unlike the ordinary screwdriver, the impact version allows you to drill into all sorts of materials. You also enjoy the freedom of using various types of screws for your projects.
Choosing the Best Impact Driver for you is not that a difficult a task. It is better to select an Impact Driver which gives some accessories with it. Like a Screw kit, tool kit etc. Whether you want a battery powered Impact Driver or the one which can be plugged to the wall socket is up to you. The Makita XDT111 3.0 Ah 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Impact Driver Kit is reasonably priced at $119; it also gives a tool kit with it. The Milwaukee 2462-20 M12 1/4 Hex Impact Driver – Bare is a cheap one, priced at $47.99 only, although it does not come with a toolkit. To choose the ideal one for you, take in consideration the amount of force that it can exert, the level up to which it is manual or automatic etc. for the number of Advantages that it has, it is highly advisable to buy it, if you are going to use it more frequently.